Blueprint for Life blog

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

I think I can I think I can

Chapter 3 was definitely written for people like me. It's all about cultivating belief and maintaining focus. Belief has been critical for me. As I've stated in earlier posts, I've had a hard time believing that God really has made me for a unique purpose that I alone can fulfill. Although it's still kind of fuzzy as to what that actually looks like, I'm starting to let go of that disbelief.

I really like how the authors present such a balanced view of this subject. Yes, Jesus said that if we have enough faith we can move mountains. And many times, the only thing that limits us is our own lack of belief that we can accomplish our goals. But on page 46, it also says,


"Of course, belief is not a magic wand. You can't just 'believe' God
into doing something that's not part of His plan. More belief will not suddenly make things work out like you wanted. God made man with certain limits. However, it's also true that man often puts even greater limits on himself. So when it comes time to set your goals, you must be certain that they are neither hindered by fear or short-sightedness, nor should you become mesmerized by greed and self-centeredness."

According to new age philosophy, we can 'become' whatever we 'believe', as if there are no limits imposed upon us by our creator. I've even heard certain TV evangelists espouse a "believe it - receive it" or "name it - claim it" theology that rings shallow, because it doesn't seem to take into account God's plan for us. Believing in ourselves and having a positive attitude is great as long as it is balanced by an understanding that we need to remain in God's will. Otherwise, we are susceptible to seeking our own glory and falling into greed, selfishness and other temptations.

So for me to get started, I need to...

  1. Believe that God really does have a unique vision for me
  2. Believe that He will reveal it to me
  3. Believe that He will equip me to accomplish it
  4. Break down the vision into small baby steps that will become the goals I need to focus on

More on all of this later.... I've got to get ready for work...

1 Comments:

  • Because of chapter 3 I have started to command the word in my life to speak authority over the weak areas of my life. I'm not naming and claiming but asking Christ to give me authority over my small minded thinking and God to increase my faith according to the plans He has for me.

    By Blogger Karen Johnson, at 12:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home