Blueprint for Life blog

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Did God really make me unique?

I've got small group tonight, and haven't finished all the questions at the end of Chapter 1. One of them is, "How has God uniquely created you to do the good works He designed for you to do throughout your lifetime?"

I guess this is something I kinda struggle with. Now that I'm in mid-life, I've been wondering for awhile now about my niche in life, where I fit in the grand scheme of things. I read Rick Warren's Purpose-Driven Life and understood my 5 generic purposes (worship, fellowship, discipleship, ministry and mission.) But this says nothing of my unique and specific purpose.

My struggle is with the concept that I truly am unique, that I truly do matter, that if I don't do the "good works that God designed me to do", they won't get done. I know I have a unique thumbprint, but does that truly make me special? I've long held the belief that there are some people who are destined to do great things and make a major impact in this world, but I'm just not one of them. Yes, I can make a positive difference in this world in small ways...giving my tithes, giving this person a hug, that person a smile, encouraging a friend who's down, donating my O negative blood to help save lives, volunteering my time to any number of good causes, etc. And God will honor all those small ways, I'm sure. So up until now, I've been content with the small ways. But lately, especially after reading the book The Dream Giver by Bruce Wilkinson, I've been wondering..."Has God destined ALL OF US to do great things, but it's our lack of faith or disobedience that prevents us from doing so?" I hope to get that question answered in this current series.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home